One hundred years of divinely brought charm.
The “Hotel Grande Italia” was founded in 1914, when the inspiration of the first project, in the year 1912, wanted to create a structure that represents the symbol of hospitality of Chioggia, almost to be, also for his position, an ideal extension of Venice.
A place that expresses class and sophistication, meets the demands of a high-level international tourism, which at that time was developing.
The “Hotel Grande Italia” is located in one of the most prestigious position in Chioggia. This extraordinary place was chosen for its incomparable scenery: the most beautiful view on “Piazza Vigo” and the Venetian Lagoon.
Today, the exclusivity of this place is given by its strategic location, just one hour away from Venice by boat, easily accessible by the public navigation line.
The Palace, singular and unique testimony of liberty architecture of the city of Chioggia, was built in the mid of the twentieth century, in the place where it was already old Inn. The project, signed by the engineer Ferruccio Smeraldi, foresaw the expansion of the existing construction of the Palace.
It was the early 900 when the hotel opened its doors. Those were the times of the romantic grand tour, long journeys and great travelers. The work was completed in 1914 on behalf of Mr. Fiorello Boscolo Lisetto. The Palace was used immediately as hotel under the name “Grand Hotel Italia”. The building has retained almost all the characteristics of the period up to the present day.
The First World War arrives and the hotel begins a new phase, following the evolution of hotel business: pleasure trips and relaxing stays were born.
German command in Piazza Vigo
The Hotel was also marked by the terrible years of the II World War. In January 1945, the Germans occupied the Palace “Albergo Italia”. In May 1945 arrives the Command of Regiment of Italian LiberationArmy. The Command stayed at the “Albergo Italia”, where before there was the command of Germancoverage in Chioggia. Despite the terrible years of the II World War, the “Hotel Grande Italia” never stopped working, and at the end of the conflict it was ready to welcome again new customers.
In 1958 the renovation works were completed, they were necessary for the improvement of the hotel business.
After eighty-six years, since 1912, the “Hotel Grande Italia” was totally renovated and during the year 1998 it was finally given back to the city in all its glory, retransmitting the “Goldonian” atmosphere, considerably appreciated by the tourists.
The company “Romea” (current owner of the property) wanted to follow this path by creating a worldclass facility that improved the historical center of Chioggia, valuing architectural restoration, and giving the opportunity to reclassify the already famous town of Chioggia, compared to the most frequented town of Sottomarina.
In the renewed version, the “Hotel Grande Italia” intends to take in the local hospitality a dual role: firstly, the originality of “prestigious hotel in town”, intended to accommodate discerning travelers who travel for
business reasons or tourism and secondly for business meetings, intended to house meetings organized for regional companies and “living room” for corporate events, exhibitions and banquets.
You just haveto stay at Hotel GrandeItaliain order to become part of our story.